National History Museum of Sofia

National Historical Museum of Sofia

Summer working hours (April – October): 9:30 – 18:00 Winter working hours (November to March): 9:00 to 17:30

The National Historical Museum (Национален исторически музей, Natsionalen istoricheski muzey) in Sofia is Bulgaria’s largest museum. It was founded on 5 May 1973. A new representative exhibition was opened in the building of the Court of Justice on 2 March 1984, to commemorate the 13th centenary of the Bulgarian state.

The museum was moved in 2000 to the former primary residence of the dictator and last communist leader Todor Zhivkov at Boyana, and currently contains over 650,000 objects connected to archaeology, fine arts, history and ethnography, although only 10% of them are permanently exhibited.

The museum includes a cloakroom, cafe, library and souvenir shop. It undertakes professional conservation and restoration of historical monuments, authenticity investigations and expert valuation. Its collections comprise materials dating from prehistoric ages till the present.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – 10.00 lv.
  • For students – 1.00 lv.
  • For visitors with children – 3.00 lv., for children over 7 years – 1.00 lv.

The History Museum of Sofia

Summer working hours (April – October): 9:30 – 18:00 Winter working hours (November to March): 9:00 to 17:30

In 1928, the decision-making decision for the establishment of a city museum. Initially, it combines the tasks of a city museum, library and archive. Along with the National, Military-Historical and Church-Archaeological, it is among the oldest museums on the territory of the capital. In the Museums Regulations it is written: “To collect, study and preserve those objects from the culture of Sofia.

On December 1, 1941, the first permanent exhibition of the museum was opened in the building of “Banski” Square. On this occasion the “Utro” newspaper presents a “Municipal museum, which will cover ethnography, archeology, economy, cultural life. Opening the Museum for a Great Culture Acquisition. “Unfortunately, the building consists of very briefly – the bombing during the Second World War when it was destroyed.

In 1952, the museum, library, archive and urban art gallery separated themselves. In the coming decades, a multilateral activity on the preservation of cultural heritage has developed, but no museum exposition area, where there are conditions for the preservation of values ​​from the fund. Meanwhile, it has grown to about 120,000, with the Star of the Science Library and Photoarchive included in this issue. Since the 1980s, over 120 temporary choices have been organized in the country and abroad, alongside the booming business. Three volumes of the collection “Serdika – Sredets – Sofia” have been published, as well as other scientific and scientific publications. The museum regularly attends the cultural affairs of the capital.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

Regional Museum of History of Plovdiv

Summer working hours (April – October): 9:30 – 18:00 Winter working hours (November to March): 9:00 to 17:30

Regional History Museum – Plovdiv was established in 1951 as a research and cultural organization for investigation, study, preservation and display of cultural assets from the past of the city of Plovdiv and its region in the period 15-20th century. The Museum holdings keep more than 60,000 exhibits, amongst them unique collections of cold steel and firearms, orders and medals, armament, personal belongings, printed publications, apparel and items from town’s everyday life, photos and documents. The History Museum in Plovdiv manages four expositions: „The Bulgarian National Revival”, „Book Publishing in Bulgaria in the second half of 19th and the beginning of 20th century”, „The Unification of Bulgaria of 1885” and the Museum Centre of Modern History.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Varna

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The building, which houses the exhibition of the History Museum of Varna, was rebuilt in 1851 for a Belgian consulate. Later the building was converted into a hotel, and from the late 19th century to 1929. is used for jamming.
The museum was established in 1969. The exhibition is located on three floors with a total area of ​​600 sq.m and follows the development of Varna as a primary port, trade-in-house, cultural and educational center in the years 1878-1939.
In the History Museum of Varna visitors will be acquainted with their unique exposition in the country, revealing the atmosphere of old Varna in the period 1878-1939. In the halls are restored with original objects, craft studios, hotel room, confectionery, pub, photographic studio, law firm, shop, bookshop, toy shop, radio shop, beach corner with dressing cabin made of reed bed , and a courtyard of a Varna house.
The construction of the European architectural appearance of the city and the transformation of Varna into an international sea resort and a summer capital of Bulgarian culture have been shown. There are original photos of old buildings and streets, samples of architectural elements, objects from the palace Evksinograd,
The grand prize, bought in 1926, for the opening of the first International Music Festival in Bulgaria – today is the International Summer Festival “Varna Summer”

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Burgas

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The Bourgas Museum was established in 1912 as a private one to the Debelt Archaeological Society, made up of intellectuals and presenters to uncover the historic past of the Bourgas lands. The first head of the museum is Pavel Vodenicharov.

In the first half of the 20th century, the first museum collections in Burgas were created, focusing on the archaeological values ​​found in the lands around Burgas. Items from Sozopol, Nessebar, Karnobat.

In 1946 the management of the Debelt Archaeological Society handed over the museum to the Municipality and it was declared a National Museum – Burgas. The director and the young scientist and archaeologist Ivan Galabov (1918 – 1978) have been appointed director, whose research is fundamental for archaeological science and contemporary museum work in southeastern Bulgaria. Under his direction in 1951 was published the first volume of “Announcements of the National Museum – Bourgas”. Professor Galabov writes in the preface to the publication, “This first volume is the beginning, but also a document for a completed period of development …”.

In 1953, the National Museum was transformed into a Regional Museum, and later in the Regional Directorate “Cultural and Historical Heritage”.

Since 2000, the Council of Ministers has been approved by the Council of Ministers as Regional Museum for Burgas Region (Regional Museum of History Burgas – RIM Burgas), which organizes the search, research and study of the cultural heritage in the region, preserves it in its funds and presents it in front of the audience.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Pomorie

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

Historical Museum – Pomorie has for nearly two decades preserved and exhibited the material part of the cultural and historical heritage of the town and the region. The building of the museum is a monument of culture. It was built during the last two decades of the nineteenth century, when a Greek girls’ school was originally housed.

The museum has a rich archaeological exposition consisting of unique exhibits related to the prehistory of the region, as well as the ancient and medieval history of Anchialo. The numismatic wealth of the exhibition consists of Anhialo coins from the Roman era, the cities of Messambria, Deultum, Marcianopolis. Medieval Byzantine, Bulgarian, Ottoman and Western European coin finds are also shown.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Veliko Tarnovo

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The extremely rich 140-year history of the museum business in Veliko Tarnovo gives an opportunity for a profound and multifaceted analysis of its development. A brief retrospective review of the traveled way allows to outline several milestones in the construction, formation and consolidation of the museum structure in the city and the region.

The first one (1871 – 1944)

Few private collections of local people took part in the first exposition presented in the community center “Nadejda” in 1871. The Archaeological society was founded in 1879. It had a very important role in the collection of artifacts in the last decades of the 19 th c. The first museum exposition was in the end of 1914. There were shown also the findings of the church “The forty holy martyrs”. Between the two World Wars it was decided to build a particular building where would housed the library, the museum and the art gallery. It was constructed in the period 1940-1953. The Archaeological museum of Tarnovo is housed there.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – 5 lv.
  • For students – 2 lv.
  • For visitors with children – 8 lv. familly ticket, for children over 7 years – FREE lv.

History Museum of Rouse

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

Rouse museum was founded in 1904. At its base stand archaeological collections of Karel and Hermengild Shkorpil and naturalist Vasil Kovachev, who were gathered in Rousse School for Boys “Knyaz Boris”. In 1937 the school museum collection became City Museum under the leadership of the municipality, and stay in one of the halls of income building. In 1949 the museum was established under the name of the National Museum. [1] In 1952, it was granted the status of a Regional Museum, and in July 2000 it was converted into a Regional Museum. [2] Since 2007 the permanent exhibition of the museum is housed in the building of the district administration, built in 1882-1892 by the architect. Friedrich Gruenanger. The initial idea is the building used as a residence of Prince Alexander I Battenberg, so today is called The Palace Battenberg.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Klisura

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The Historical Museum in Klissura is among the 100 National Tourist Sites of Bulgaria and a center of cultural and educational life of the city for decades.

It is housed in the commemorative building “Chitalishte pametnik-museum”, built on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the April Uprising and opened on 2 May 1926. Funds for its construction have been collected for 30 years from the acknowledged clusters and their fellow citizens scattered throughout Bulgaria. 

The museum has an artistic collection of works by distinguished Bulgarian artists such as Zlatyu Boyadzhiev, Nenko Balkanski, Dechko Uzunov, Hristo Stanchev, Dimitar Kirov and others.

Among the most precious exhibits in the museum’s exhibition is the preserved original bell, which announces the beginning of the April uprising in the fateful April 20, 1876 – two hours after the announcement of the uprising in Koprivshtitsa. Pride for the museum is the preserved authentic cherry ball.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Samokov

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The Historical Museum in Samokov was founded in 1930 by the idea of ​​the Samokov artists Naum Hadjimladenov, Vassil Zahariev, Hristo Yonchev-Kriskarets, Pavel Francesliyski, Slavi Genev and Georgi Belstroynev.

At first the museum collection is housed in the building of the Otets Paisiy Chitalishte, but later it forms a separate solid building behind it. Officially, the institution was approved by the Ministry of Enlightenment in 1936. In 1937 the beginning of the ethnographic collection of the museum was established and the first exhibition under the guidance of Professor Hristo Vakarelsky was made the following year.

The building itself was designed by architect Yurdan Yordanov in the late 1930s, its first sod was made in 1940 by Bogdan Filov, but was completed only after the end of the Second World War. Since 1943 the museum has been housed in today’s building. In 1958 and 1966 the exibitions dedicated to the Revival and the revolutionary struggles in the region were completed respectively.

At present, the museum has a collection of about 30,000 museum exhibits divided into ethnographic, archeological, art-iconographic, documentary and photographic collections.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Pleven

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The Regional Historical Museum in Pleven is a scientific and cultural-enlightening institute, an independent legal entity on budget support to the Pleven Municipality. It carries out its activities in the searching, exploration, presentation, preservation and promotion of the monuments of culture, natural specimens, flora and fauna on the territory of Pleven region where significant archaeological sites have been discovered – the Roman city of Ulpia Eskus near the village of Gigen, the Late Antiquity and Early Byzantine fortress Storgozia near Pleven and the medieval Bulgarian fortress in Nikopol. According to the profile, the museum is a general history one with a natural science department. Its structure includes the following main specialized departments: Archaeology; History of Bulgaria XV – XIX c .; New and Recent  history; Ethnography; Nature; Funds, Scientific archives Specialized library; Media relations and Museum educational Programs; Workshop for restoration and conservation.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Vidin

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

It was established as an archaeological society in 1910. According to its statutes, its aim is to “search for, preserve and study the monuments of the past, which will be kept in a museum that is in the town of Vidin.” The company is active, but the 1912 to 1918 warfare violates the rhythm of his work.

On 1 March 1925 the company resumed its activity under the name “Bononia”. In 1932, the museum already owns its own building, the former Turkish post office, which houses an exhibition. It features prehistory, paleontology, archeology and ethnography. The numismatic collection then numbered 2500 coins, so are the Bulgarian embroidery. Particularly impressive is the archaeological map of the Vidin region with all known objects – churches, Roman roads, ancient and medieval settlements.

Since 1948 the museum has been subordinated to the Regional People’s Council in Vidin. In 1954, it was renamed to a Popular General History Museum. For its activity is provided the old building of the municipality – Konakka, declared a monument of culture.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Stara Zagora

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

For its 107 years of history, Stara Zagora Historical Museum has strengthened its positions as a prestigious, cultural and scientific institution not only within the city, but in the country and abroad, too. The beginning of the organised museum movement in Stara Zagora was established on 28th May/10th June 1907. On this day a group of patriotic citizens, public and cultural figures founded Augusta Trayana Archaeological Association.

Five years later, for a very short time period, a special premise was built, which was especially for the needs of the museum and the city library. In the following years the museum cause in Stara Zagora was based on sound theoretical and scientific principles. Archaeological excavations of tombs, mosaics, and fortified walls were carried out. At the same time there began activities of preservation and popularisation of the cultural valuables which revealed the diverse past of both the city and the region. The main driving forces of the development of the museum were its curators – Atanas Kozhuharov and Hristo Raykov. Due to their efforts, the discovered artefacts were correctly processed, conserved and preserved; the existing museum funds were expanded; the first scientific publications were written.

The museum attracted a variety of visitors contributing in that way for strengthening the position of Stara Zagora as an important cultural centre in South Bulgaria – a role that the museum has kept even nowadays. The museum was also an attraction for the royalties of the time – Tsaritsa Eleonora visited it in 1916. Many ministers, MPs, and renowned scientists from different European countries visited it, too.

individual visits:
    • Pensioners – 2.00 lv
    • Adults – 5.00 lv
    • Pupils and full-time students – 1.00 lv
    • Group visits of 10 or more persons – 4.00 lv
    • Disabled visitors – free of charge

    Entrance fee for visitors with children:

    • Adults – 3.00 lv
    • Children over 7 years – 1.00 lv
    • Children under 7 years – free of charge

History Museum of Vratsa

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The beginning of the museum work in Vratsa is set in the dawn of the Bulgarian National Revival. It is associated with the ordination of Sts. Sophronius for Bishop Vrachanski and his mission as a spiritual and political pastor among the population in the northwestern Bulgarian lands. Creator of the first collection of antiquities in Vratsa, reaching the volume of a socially significant museum collection, is the rich Vrachan merchant Hadji Tosho Tsenov. Undoubtedly, she was enriched by his son Dimitraki Hadjitoshev – a prominent fighter for church and national independence. However, the collection is attained by his successor Todoraki Hadzhiyski, and the Hungarian traveler Felix Kanitz admired the admiration. In 1894 the same was handed over to the National Library and the National Museum in Sofia.
          The idea of ​​a museum was established in the middle of the 20th century. In 1925 the foundations of a museum collection were set up at the Tsar Boris III Secondary School in Vratsa. Shortly after her, the experience of creating a museum collection in the “Devilishness” Society was booming. In 1939-1940, during the construction of the new building of the company, the two collections were united, but the Anglo-American bombardment on 24 January 1944 affected the building and the museum hall, destroying part of the exhibits.

individual visits:
    • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
    • For students – ? lv.
    • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Gabrovo

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

One of the oldest cultural institutions in Gabrovo is the Regional Museum of History, a direct successor of the museum, created on 11/24 May / 1883 at the Aprilov High School, at the idea of ​​the director of the school and future Minister of National Education Raicho Karolev.

The interest in the collection and preservation of the Gabrovo antiquities acquires new dimensions with the founder of the famous Gabrovo historian Dr. Petar Tsonchev on 19 July 1920. Gabrovo Historical Society. Statutes are adopted, according to which the main purpose of the company is to “collect and preserve the scattered materials necessary for writing a more complete history of Gabrovo.”

In October 1920, the first archaeological excavations in the Gradishte area were organized under the guidance of Dr. Max T. Neckert, the archeologist invited by Dr. Petar Tsonchev and Ekim Andreychin. The first exhibition of the materials collected by the company in one of the rooms of the Aprilov High School dates back to 1923.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Dobrich

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

Regional Historical Museum – Dobrich was founded in 1953. Its creation is associated with the names of Prof. Dr. Lyubka Bobcheva, Dimo ​​Dragnev and Margarita Dakova. In the 1960s, the first museum exposition was opened in the former casino building. In the following years, the classical museum structure was built up and systematic collection and research activities began on the territory of the newly established district. The largest prehistoric necropolis on the west coast of Durankulak Lake is discovered and researched. The ancient and medieval fortresses, settlements and necropolises were studied at Topola, Kamen Bryag, Kaliakra, Chirakman, Balchik, Odraci, Kladentsi, Skala, Shabla and others. A geodetic filming of the mounds and mound necropolises was made in the then Tolbuhin district. A number of field expeditions and surveys were also carried out. As a result, museum funds are being replenished, new museum exhibitions are created, monographs, academic publications, and sources are being written and published.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Kardzhali

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The museum contains more than 45,000 exhibits tracing the life of the Eastern Rhodopes from the earliest antiquity to the beginning of the 20th century, collected in three collections, thematic detached in the departments “Archeology”, “Nature”, “Ethnography”. The Stana Dimitrova Art Gallery, which is housed in the building of a former Konak, also operates the regional museum.

The Archeology Department is located on the first floor of the museum and has 9 halls and a total of 600 m² exhibition area. It keeps archaeological finds from the Neolithic to the late Bulgarian Middle Ages. The department presents a reconstruction of a prehistoric home with collections of labor tools, prehistoric idol plastics and household objects. Thracian votive tablets, bronze plaster, slate ceramics, medieval coins, ornaments and church utensils are also shown. 

The Nature Department is housed in four halls on the second floor of an exhibition area of ​​300 m².

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Kustendil "Academician Yordan Ivanov"

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The beginning of the museum work in Kyustendil was set in the middle of the 19th century, when a number of National Revival activists made the first successful attempts to study the past of Kyustendil and its surroundings, collecting and preserving valuable archeological, ethnographic and folklore materials. The most prominent of them are Georgi Angelov Drumoharsky, Petar Tsvetanov Lubenov, Efrem Karanov, Stoyan Zaimov, Zinovi Poppetrov, Georgi Koulushki and Mikhail Georgiev-Macedonian.

At the beginning of the twentieth century began the large archaeological excavations of Yordan Ivanov at the village of Nevestino, the “Mosteni” (1904-1906) and the “Hisarlaka”, which began in 1906 and continued in 1908-1909-1911 and 1912 , and the excavations of the sanctuary near the village of Kopilovtsi (1911-1912) conducted by Prof. Gavril Katsarov.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Lovech

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The idea of ​​creating a museum in Lovech comes immediately after the Liberation from the Ottoman yoke. A decision is made on the initiative of Prof. Stefan Vatev for the foundation of a museum at the Science Club of Lovech. The year is 1895.

The museum is located on the second floor of the Chitalishte building. Start collecting activity. An invitation was made to prominent fishermen to “assist in the gathering of collections and, in general, all that is needed to be a museum full”.

As a result of the efforts made in 1899, the museum has 1254 exhibits: coins, Bulgarian costumes, documents and stone objects, mainly donated.

An important contribution to the study of the historical past of Lovech has been Prof. Dr. Paraskev Stoyanov. At his initiative, the associates of Vassil Levski were interviewed in 1901. As a result, he wrote and published the book “The Town of Lovech as the center of the BRC, the capital of Vasil Levski and the hometown of Todor Kirkov”.

The Museum at the Lovech Chitalishte “Science” was named after the Hungarian scientist Felix Kanitz in 1902.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Montana

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

It was founded in 1951 under the initial name “Museum of the September 1923 Uprising in Mihaylovgrad” and its first exhibition was opened on 23.09.1953. Along with its pro-communist political orientation, the museum began professionally collecting, processing and promotes the cultural and historical heritage of the area. The museum organizes not only systemic archaeological excavations, but also a study of the material and spiritual culture that gives the unique image of the region. Cultural values, owned by the museum, are displayed in the Exposition Hall, the Mihailov House, the Lapidarium Archaeological Exhibition and the Ancient Fortress. In 2003 the museum was awarded the Honorable sign of the Municipality of Montana.

In 1991, the museum became legally registered under its present name, depoliticised and expanded its structure.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Pernik

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

It was founded on 29 April 1953 as a museum of socialist construction. In 1957 the first exhibition was opened. Since 1959 it has grown into a Regional Folk Museum, and in 1968 administrative and structural changes have taken place and it is called the County Historical Museum. By Decision No 126 of 25 January 2001 the museum became municipal and, after a decree of the Council of Ministers dated 07 April 2006, became a Regional Historical Museum.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Pazardzhik

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

By resolution of the Management Board of Videnella Chitalishte it was established on 11 May 1911. In 2000 it was transformed into a Regional Historical Museum with territory of activity Pazardjik district. According to the profile, the museum has a general history and has the following main departments: Archeology, History of Bulgaria XV-XIX century, Ethnography, New History, New History, Funds and Scientific Archives, Public Relations. Historical expositions are housed in a specially built building of 1200 m². The museum has its own specialized library, restoration workshop and photo lab. In order to obtain additional revenues, the museum builds and arranges a stand for the sale of advertising materials and souvenirs, as well as a café. The administrative structure of the museum currently consists of 17 people, each of which occupies a particular post in terms of departments and maintenance. The museum preserves a wealth of cultural and historical treasures that testify to the development of Pazardzhik culture over the centuries and stand out from other such regional cultures. Over 30 settlements of prehistoric origin, 60 settlements, 1,000 tombstones and 90 early and late medieval fortresses are known in the area.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Razgrad

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The beginning of the Razgrad Historical Museum was laid by the patriotic public, local school inspector, later an academician in the field of natural sciences Ananie Ivanov Javasov. In 1887 he conducted the first excavations in the western part of the Hisarluh fortress (Abritus). With the archaeological discoveries found, Yavashov arranges the same year for a museum collection in the old building of the local male gymnasium. That is why 1887 is the beginning of the museum in Razgrad. On 19.03.1922, at the St. Cyril and St. Methodius School (now Art Gallery), an initiative of Ananie Jawasov called for a General Assembly of patriotic Bulgarians, mainly teachers and the Razgrad Archaeological Society was established. The aim of the company is to “search, preserve and study the antiquities in Razgrad and the region and to raise interest among them.” For decades, it has been the main driver for studying the past of Razgrad and Razgrad. Thus begins a purposeful study of the past of the Razgrad region, which laid the foundations for the future existence of the present museum.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Silistra

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The service for creating the first museum in Silistra and Dobrudja belongs to the teachers from the State Pedagogic School in the town. By Protocol No. 9 of November 18, 1898, the School Teachers Council adopted a decision to build a museum. His statute was approved on 11 January 1899 by the then Minister of National Enlightenment Ivan Vazov. The museum is housed in one of the school rooms. In it there are exposed coins and other archaeological finds found in Silistra, transmitted voluntarily by students, teachers and individual citizens. Dobrudja folk costumes, old books, manuscripts and others were also preserved. The first person in charge of the museum is the history teacher Todor Ikonomov, a native of Oryahovo, who graduated from Sofia University (Sofia University “Kliment Ohridski”).

The first and second Romanian occupations of Southern Dobrudzha (1913 – 1916 and 1919 – 1940) put an end to all cultural and educational events of the Bulgarian population, including the museum work in Silistra. Much of the archaeological finds in the city, exposed to this moment outdoors, were taken over by the withdrawing Romanian troops.

The accession of Southern Dobrudzha to Bulgaria under the Krayov Treaty in 1940 created the conditions for the rise of cultural life and the revival of the museum as an institution. As soon as the Bulgarian authorities were established, the idea of ​​establishing a museum in Silistra was launched. This idea took place on October 19, 1941, when local public figures, mainly teachers, lawyers and prominent community centers, created a Historical – Ethnographic Museum in Silistra. The statutes of the museum are also adopted. It was brought to the public by teacher Zhechko Rusev.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Sliven

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The Regional History Museum in Sliven is housed in a beautiful building on the main street of the town, built in 1895 by the son of Dobri Zhelyazkov – Ivan. It is one of the oldest institutions in Sliven. It was founded in 1913 as a community center at the Zora Chitalishte.

In the halls of the two floors is arranged the exhibition “Memory for centuries”.

The exhibition includes original monuments from the museum fund, some of which are of global importance. Neolithic and Eneolithic exhibits are exhibited on the first floor – vessels, cult figures, stone cannons, and bronze cannons and weapons. The rest of the exposition on the first floor is dedicated to the Thracians. In the area of ​​Sliven, over 20 burial mounds have been explored, of which unique and unique items, showing the high level of the Thracian masters, have been found in the halls of RIM – Sliven.

On the second floor in one of the halls is presented one of the richest burials of the Thracian age ever found. Here you can see golden phial, a gold ring, a golden mask found in Thrace, a silver helmet, golden golden rhytons.

On this floor are halls exhibiting exhibits from the Roman era, as well as the hall of “Tuida”.

On the third floor is the exhibition “Artefact – from the opening to the exposition”.

The exhibition presents the activities of archaeologists and restorers from the discovery of objects during archaeological research to their preservation, restoration and appropriate exposure care.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Smolyan

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

On May 26, 1935, during a celebration of Stoyu Shishkov’s anniversary, dedicated to his half-century old folk activity and 70 years of his birth, he announced his idea of ​​founding a museum in his native town of Ustovo. For “building a salon in which to arrange the medieval and Thracian ethnographic museum” the jubilee made a personal donation amounting to 50 thousand golden levs. A month later the funds were deposited in Ustovska popular bank to the Progress Chitalishte Account for the settlement of the museum. By Order No. 1141 of May 8, 1937 the Minister of National Enlightenment approved the Rules of Ethnographic Museum in the village of Ustovo.
Based on the special instruction from the end of 1951 for the preservation of the monuments of culture and the development of the museum’s work in Bulgaria, the Committee of Science, Art and Culture in the village of Raikovo established the Rhodope Folk Museum, whose activity was initially ethnographic but gradual a historical, archeological and artistic department is revealed.
In 1967 the museum was transformed into a Historic District.
Since 2002, the Historical Museum in Smolyan has been officially named after its founder Stoyu Shishkov, since 2006 he has been performing regional functions on the territory of the Smolyan region. Thematic coverage is generally historical.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Targovishte

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The Museum in Targovishte was established in 1951. Since 1960 it has acquired the status of a district. Currently, the Trade Museum is regional. Its structure includes five departments – Archeology, History of Bulgaria XV – XIX century, New and recent history, Ethnography, Funds. It carries over 25,000 museum values. Four of the museum’s objects – Archaeological exposition in the Hadji Rusi old school, Ethnographic exposition in the Hadjiangelov house, Nikola Simov-Kuruko House Museum, the St. Sedmochislenitsi Revival School. In the first three sites the expositions are permanent and temporary expositions are presented at the National Revival School. The museum develops research and publishing activities. Organizes educational programs and archaeological research.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Haskovo

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The beginning of the museum in Haskovo was set in 1927 with the founding of an Archaeological Committee. The first curators are the teacher Ivan Karagyurov and the artist Dimitar Ivanov – Lizzo. Since 1935, the official name is “Haskovo Archaeological Museum”. Until 1975, the museum was housed in the Kirk School when a new building was opened, equipped with cabinets, stockpiles and exhibition areas.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Shumen

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The famous Renaissance teacher Sava Dobroplodni is the founder of the museum’s work in Shumen. In 1857, together with his students, he conducted the first expedition to the ruins of Veliki Preslav, and with the collected materials a small collection was organized in the library of the Men’s Class School. The increased interest in Bulgarian history in the era of the National Revival has its logical explanation, as it is logical, that this interest should appear in the region – center of the First Bulgarian Kingdom. Sava Dobroplodni’s step was taken up in the coming years by his pupils, by Shumen teachers and public figures. The collection and preservation of old age continues throughout the free-liberation period. After the Liberation, studies in the region continued.

Karel Shkorpil discovers the remains of the first Bulgarian capital Pliska, and Rafail Popov has come to the idea of ​​creating an Archeological Society in Shoumen to organize an archaeological gathering. The company was founded in 1902. Thanks to the efforts of Raphael Popov and the financial support of the Shumen Municipality, on June 29, 1904, a Regional Museum was officially opened in the cultural center of the town (today called “Tsar Osvoboditel”).

In 2000, by a Decree of the Council of Ministers, it was transformed into a Regional Office, performing methodical functions on the territory of Shumen District.

individual visits:
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Yambol

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

The Yambol Historical Museum owes its creation to the unselfish, collecting and research activities of local intellectuals who laid the foundations of the historical researches for the region. Already in 1886 the first museum collection was established at the three-class male school in Yambol on the initiative of Prof. Petar Neykov. The Diana Archaeological Student Society (founded 1925) in 1926 also arranges a museum collection. At that time, well-known local intellectuals founded the civil archaeological society “Diampolis”, which is active in the field of archeology and ethnography. The exhibits collected by these companies were kept until 1936 in the Yambol Pedagogical School building. In 1948, the Museum and Galleries Department of the Science, Arts and Culture Committee, with a letter, proposed to the GNSS-Yambol to provide in its budget for 1949 the “Old Age Assistant” and museum premises. On 26 January 1952 Veneta Dacheva was appointed as a reference “Museum and Picture Gallery”. This act is the beginning of the museum as an institution. Officially, the museum was opened on 2 June 1953 as a museum of the revolutionary movement. Until 1955, V. Dacheva was the only curator in it. Initially, there are three departments in the museum: Historically (including the historical development of Yambol and the region from prehistory to 1944); socialist construction (reflecting the events after 1944) and the department of natural sciences.
  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Blagoevgrad

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

Its origins date back to 1948-1949, when a small collection was created at the chitalishte, mainly with archaeological materials, which gradually grew.

At present, there is a well-established structure with the following departments: Archeology, Ethnography, Bulgarian lands XV – early XX century, New and new history, Nature, Art, “,” Public Relations “, as well as service units: a conservation and restoration laboratory, a modern photo lab, and a library with over 16,000 volumes. [1]

Today, the museum’s collections contain material about the history of the area. Particularly interesting are the tombstone of the Roman epoch from the valley of the Struma river, the finds from the ancient necropolis in the village of Rupite, the ceramics and the coins from the antiquity and the Middle Ages, the finds from the medieval Melnik, the Samuilova fortress and others.

  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

History Museum of Kazanlak

Summer working hours (1 May – 31 October): 10:00 – 17:00 Winter working hours (1 November to 31 April): 10:00 to 17:00

Museum of History Iskra

Founded in 1901 by the patriotic citizen of Kazanlak Peter Topuzov, the historical museum of Iskra is one of the oldest, richest and most famous museums in Bulgaria. Inside, one can find over 70,000 original exhibits depicting the rich material and spiritual culture of the Kazanlak region.

One can visit the constant exhibitions at Archeology, Revival, New History, Ethnography and Modern History departments. Tourists can also be interested in collections of bone sickles, Thracian treasuries, medieval ceramics, cold steel and firearms, jewelry and dresses from the past lifestyles of the citizens of Kazanlak.

Inside the treasury hall one can find the newest golden, silver and bronze findings from the Thracian temples in the region. These include the unique golden wreath that belonged to Seutus III, his helmet and knee pads, the whole golden and silver horse munitions, together with a rare collection of coins and other objects from the Thracian Age.

The museum keeps, examines and popularizes the entire historical and cultural heritage of the Kazanlak region.

  • Entrance fee for individual visitors – ? lv.
  • For students – ? lv.
  • For visitors with children – ? lv., for children over 7 years – ? lv.

Travel Booking

Турове

Destination

Hiden gems

Начало

За нас

Конкурси

Need some Information?

Блог

Галерия

Нашият магазин

Контакти